Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cous Cous + Kale Salad ::




I had whole wheat cous cous at home that I wanted to use up, so I decided to make a cold salad with it. I searched for healthy ingredients that I already had at home and decided to add toasted almonds and kale. It turned out delicious and was so easy to make! Follow the directions on the box to make the cous cous. After cooking, I poured the cous cous into a big mixing bowl and added a little lemon juice, toasted almonds, and raw kale that I already had washed and ready to go in the fridge. I tossed all of this with a sherry vinaigrette dressing that I made by whisking together (with a fork) 2 parts olive oil, 1 part sherry vinegar (any vinegar works, though), a dash of salt and pepper, and about a teaspoon of dijon mustard. The dijon acts as a binding agent and makes for a thicker, and delicious, dressing. You can also add shallots and a couple teaspoons of honey to this mixture to make a great sherry vinaigrette, but I left both out this time. And that was it... A very quick and healthy lunch or dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment